Saturday 11 June 2016

LIFE, KIND OR UNKIND?



I’m a bit prone to the blues, my grief gets so bad at times. I wonder why life is unkind to me, why my journey isn’t easy blah blah. I basically wallow in self-pity. During those times, it is an endless battle of doubts, fears and hopelessness. It is such a horrible thing to go through. I hit rock bottom sometime towards the end of last year then I made a profound decision.


It was a painfully slow journey to fight the currents of depression till I was able to get back up for air. I cannot give you the exact blueprint of how I did it. I do not have a specific guide towards overcoming melancholia but I’m going to try anyway.


First thing I decided was I couldn’t continue like this, I knew deep down that staying depressed couldn’t solve my problems. It was only going to push me into deeper problems. The turning point was the day suicide crossed my mind, it was crazy because it’s the most selfish thing ever and it’s the coward’s way out.


STEP 2; LOOK FOR AN OUTLET/VENT: Do not keep it all bottled up, you need to find an outlet. Depression itself stems from not dealing with minor fears, insecurities and letting them pile till they outweigh you.  My writing serves as a major outlet for me. I kept a diary as a teenager and it’s so much fun to read the things that bothered me then. So I made it a habit to keep track of major events in my life, feelings etc.
 If you’re a religious person, you could pray it out. Talk to God about the state you’re in, your lack of fulfillment, your confusion and all. He has perfect plans for you.

STEP 3; Make it a duty to live each day at a time: Do not bring the troubles of yesterday into today. See each day as sort of a new canvas and it’s up to you to paint a happy picture.


STEP 4; Get a hobby/skill/chore you’re going to immerse yourself into, preferably something that brings in money or improves a life somewhere. That way you feel more fulfilled that something is going right with you.
  

Lastly, keep an open mouth mind and eyes to all things beautiful like the existence of Jollof, grilled chicken and ice cream. These things make you believe that life is so much more beautiful. These past few weeks I have been quite fascinated with the skies, the way it can be so many beautiful colours at once, the way the sunset bathes it in an orange glow.


What I’ve noticed is the people around us most times can’t even tell, we fight our demons in private and usually appear as the life of the party outdoors. Well, I’m holding your hand virtually and saying “tomorrow will be better”.

Has life been kind or unkind to you? Share your doubts, fears and success stories. I’m here to listen and share.

 STAY IN TOUCH WITH "LIFE THROUGH MY WINDOW"
connect with me on instagram @the_oluwabukunmi.. I'm about that gram life
 Life,Love,Laughter and Sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment